Monday, August 20, 2012

Reflections on Term 1 Personal Performance

Before I joined Hwa Chong, my Science grades were not very good, therefore, I was a little afraid that I would not be able to cope with Secondary Science. However, through the worksheets and assignments given by our Science teacher, I realized that I was coping pretty well. For the term test, I was hoping for an 80% as our Science teacher said that that was the benchmark for results considered good. In the end, I got a 80% and at that moment, I was ecstatic! Also, I ranked second in class, with two other classmates. I think that I was able to get such grades partly because the topics we were learning was relatively easy. As for next term, I would be hoping for a 85%. Overall, I think this term is quite a fruitful one as I learned some new things like drawing of apparatus et cetera. I hope that I can cope Science throughout my Secondary and Junior College.
For term 1, we learnt several topics, namely:

Science as an inquiry(Theme)-
1)Science and Technology(i.e. uses and benefits of Science)
2)Attitudes(i.e. Not to jump to conclusions)
3)Science Process Skills(i.e. inference etc)
4)Basic Laboratory Orientation(i.e. Drawing of Apparatus etc)

Adapted from:http://www.machine-history.com/sites/default/files/images/image006.jpg

5)Basic skills of plotting a graph.

Measurements(Theme)-
1)Use of measuring instruments(i.e.metre rule, vernier calipers etc)
2)Physical Quantities and Units(i.e. prefixes like nano-, centi- etc)
3)Mass, Weight and Density(i.e. formula of density etc).

Adapted from:https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi0DpmS3p_NExOztg5LHUeBdOavzxoQxLiABOC5jNqHfcD_rbcHImzoXepPY201ed-RMU1XfzWnJOhWMy8Z-007shmxYax8YvOtVqkhUjwAjCN-iEfdj_4XkYpGRoCuAg79SDSZNEHN-oU/s400/vernier-scale.jpeg

I think that for this term, the topic that I like most is the one on attitudes. This is because it made me realise that a good scientist is not one that is only well-educated, but also one that has a good attitude. Basically, for the theme of Science As An Inquiry, I think it is overall quite easy to understand and is quite enjoyable learning about them. I think that for the measurements theme, it really requires a lot of calculation and formulas and is quite tedious to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment