Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Reflections On Term 2 Personal Performance

After a week's break, we had to get back to school and carry on with our studies. Our Science teacher told us that we were concentrating more on Chemistry this term. When I heard this, I was quite happy as I have always thought of mixing different solutions together and watch reactions occur. However, as time went by, I realized that chemistry is not totally fun and all but at times, can be tough. Soon enough, we had to do the term test.Due to time constraints, I left quite a few questions blank and sure enough, I got a 29.5/45 which is 65.7%. I was devastated when I got back my Science paper. It was a drastic deprovement, from a A1 to B3. However, I managed to look at things on the brighter side and decided to work harder for my next Science test. This maybe a tough path, but I believe that it can be done if I could put in more effort. Also, through this test, it signalled to me that I am not good in Chemistry. For next test, I would be hoping for an 80% and through my peers and teachers help, I think I would be able to achieve that. Although I did not score well for my test, I have learnt quite a lot of new things and believe that they will definitely help me in future works.
For this term, we learnt quite a number of topics, namely:

Diversity(Theme)-
1)Classification of matter(i.e. Brownian motion, kinetic particle theory etc)

Adapted from:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/Translational_motion.gif

2)Elements(i.e. distinguish between non-metals and metals etc)
3)Compounds(i.e. Recognize that they have particular properties etc)
4)Mixtures(i.e. Describe mixtures as two or more elements etc)

Adapted from:http://www.bpc.edu/mathscience/chemistry/images/periodic_table_of_elements.jpg
5)Separation Techniques(i.e. filtration, evaporation to dryness etc)

Interactions(Theme)-
1)Solutions and Suspensions(i.e. Distinguish between solute, solvent and solution etc)

The topic that I enjoyed most this term is the topics on Brownian motion. This is because I have understood the most and also learnt the most from this topic. Basically, this is a theory-based topic but it is quite fun watching it occur. For elements, compound and mixtures, I think that this topic is the one that I did not really enjoy as they are quite boring but in terms of Chemistry, this is the fundamental details so although boring, I would have to bear through it and learn as much as I can. For the separation techniques, it was through the Home-Based Learning and because it is through this method, I find it quite confusing at first but as I read through it again and again, I realised it is not that tough actually. For the solutions and suspension topics, it was actually just a brief introduction so I did not really learn much about it this term.

No comments:

Post a Comment